Inspired by Karen to brave the wilds of garment-making, I set out to sew my first button-down shirt. I’ve had the pattern in my stash for at least a year, along with two pieces of fabric but I was always too chicken to actually do it. I chose what I thought would be a really easy pattern from a brand I like a lot(Kwik-Sew!) but I still had a few issues. I managed to get through the shoulder seams, confusing though they were, only to really fark up and wind up with what you see above.
That’s right. I sewed the sleeve on the wrong side. After pinning and repinning that section and finally seaming it, I was all kinds of YAY and then realized I’d boo-boo’d. Sigh. The seam ripper and I are on drinking buddy terms right about now. Not that I’ve actually BEEN drinking–I suspect that had I been the screw-up would have been worse!
This isn’t going to stop me from making more shirts, though. Though I’m still too chicken to go for long sleeves, I do look forward to sewing a few more projects from this pattern. Summer’s coming and I sure could use them. As I type this the sleeve needs fixing, and then I can seam the other, then all there is left to do is seam the sides and sleeve bottoms and *GASP*… buttonholes! *nailbiting* Luckily there’s plenty of scraps left to practice buttonholing with. 😉